"CARNWATH, par. and vil. with ry. sta., E. Lanarksh., on C. Burn, 25 m. SW. of Edinburgh and 27 m. SE. of Glasgow -- par., 30,565 ac. (119 water), pop. 5831; vil., pop. 845; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is rich in coal and ironstone. Carnwath has given the title of Earl to the Dalzell family since 1639. At W. end of the vil. is Carnwath House. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887