" par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Coulter), E. Lanarkshire and W. Peebles-shire - par., 11,883 ac., pop. 574; vil., wholly in Lanarkshire, 1½ mile SE. of the ry. sta. and 2½ miles SW. of Biggar; P.O., called Coulter; contains Culter Water, flowing 6½ miles NW. to the Clyde, Culter Fell, on the border of the two cos., alt. 2454 ft., and the seats of Culter Allers House and Culter Mains. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Culter (NT024339):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Culter area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Culter has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 ---- 1881 ---- 1891 ----