" Douglas, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire -- par., 34,137 ac., pop. 2641; vil., on Douglas Water, 3¼ miles SW. of the sta., 10¾ miles SW. of Lanark, and Similes SW. of Edinburgh, pop. 1262; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Coal is mined, and limestone and sandstone are quarried. D. was formerly a place of importance, and a seat of considerable trade, but it has now fallen into decadence. Of the kirk of St Bride of Douglas (13th century), only a spire and the choir remain; the latter till 1761 was the burial-place of the Douglas family. About ¾ mile NE. of the vil. is Douglas Castle, seat of the Earl of Home; adjacent are the remains of the ancient castle, the seat of the old earls of Douglas - Scott's "Castle Dangerous." Douglas gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Hamilton, and that of baron to the Earl of Home. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887