" Douglas, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire -- par., 34,137 ac., pop. 2641; vil., on Douglas Water, 3¼ miles SW. of the sta., 10¾ miles SW. of Lanark, and Similes SW. of Edinburgh, pop. 1262; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Coal is mined, and limestone and sandstone are quarried. D. was formerly a place of importance, and a seat of considerable trade, but it has now fallen into decadence. Of the kirk of St Bride of Douglas (13th century), only a spire and the choir remain; the latter till 1761 was the burial-place of the Douglas family. About ¾ mile NE. of the vil. is Douglas Castle, seat of the Earl of Home; adjacent are the remains of the ancient castle, the seat of the old earls of Douglas - Scott's "Castle Dangerous." Douglas gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Hamilton, and that of baron to the Earl of Home. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Douglas (NS836308):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Douglas area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
There are several very useful family history research resources in the City of Glasgow
- Details of the administrative areas of which Douglas has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.