Ecclesiastically, the parish is in the presbytery of Glasgow and the synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and includes the 17 quoad sacra parishes of Abbotsford (pop. 1881 8891), Bellahouston (6149), Dean Park (3915), Gorbals (2641), Hillhead, Hutchesontown (9205), Kingston (7041), Kinning Park (12,758), Laurieston (10,040), Maxwell (13,269), Partick (8698), Partick St. Mary's (8722), Plantation (11,524), Pollockshields, St. Bernards (11,176), Strathbungo (3172), Whiteinch (4468), while the parish of Kiaran is in course of erection. The parish of Govan itself had, in 1881, the large population of 107,920. There are mission churches at Govanhill, Hyndlands, Oatlands and Govan (West Church).
There are now (1882) 22 Free churches in the parish:-
Augustine, Candlish Memorial, Gorbals, Govan St. Columba's and Govan St. Mary's, Hillhead, Hutchesontown, Kelvinside, Kingston, Kinning Park, Knox, Paisley Road, Partick Dowanside and Partick High, Pollockshields, Renwick, Rose Street, Tradeston, Union Victoria, Westbourne, amd Whiteinch, while there is a Gaelic mission church at Partick.
There are (1882) 19 U.P. churches:-
Belhaven, Caledonia Road, Cumberland Street, Eglinton Street, Elgin Street, Erskine, Fairfield, Govan, Govanhill, Hutchesontown, Ibrox, Oatlands, Partick Dowanhill, Partick East and Partick Newton Place, Plantation, Pollockshields, Pollock Street and Whiteinch.
There are besides, 5 Roman Catholic churches, 3 Congregational, 3 Evangelical Union, 2 Baptist, 2 Episcopal, 2 Wesleyan Methodist, 1 Original Seceder and a barrack belonging to the Salvation Army.
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1883)