"a parish and a burgh in the lower ward of Lanarkshire and in the extreme NW of that county."
"Once upon a time the parish of Govan was almost entirely an agricultural parish, and its population were a plain simple rural population. Only a century ago the population of the entire parish, even including Gorbals, which was at that time incorporated with it, was only 4389. It will be easily seen from this fact that the greater portion of the parish which is now teeming with myriads of human beings, and resounding from one end to the other with the clanking of hammers, the roar of traffic, and the incessant hum of general business and activity was then reposing in all the quietude and somnolency of purely primitive life."
"The parish is for registration purposes divided into the districts of Govan, Hutchesontown, Gorbals, Tradeston and Kinning Park."
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1883)
The GORBALS - an illustrated history
by Eric Eunson
published 1996 by Richard Stenlake Publishing, Ochiltree Sawmill, The Lade, Ochiltree, Ayrshire KA18 2NX
ISBN - 1872074685
Dates of Old Parish Registers
Ecclesiastically, the parish is in the presbytery of Glasgow and the synod of Glasgow and Ayr, and includes the 17 quoad sacra parishes of Abbotsford (pop. 1881 8891), Bellahouston (6149), Dean Park (3915), Gorbals (2641), Hillhead, Hutchesontown (9205), Kingston (7041), Kinning Park (12,758), Laurieston (10,040), Maxwell (13,269), Partick (8698), Partick St. Mary's (8722), Plantation (11,524), Pollockshields, St. Bernards (11,176), Strathbungo (3172), Whiteinch (4468), while the parish of Kiaran is in course of erection. The parish of Govan itself had, in 1881, the large population of 107,920. There are mission churches at Govanhill, Hyndlands, Oatlands and Govan (West Church).
There are now (1882) 22 Free churches in the parish:-
Augustine, Candlish Memorial, Gorbals, Govan St. Columba's and Govan St. Mary's, Hillhead, Hutchesontown, Kelvinside, Kingston, Kinning Park, Knox, Paisley Road, Partick Dowanside and Partick High, Pollockshields, Renwick, Rose Street, Tradeston, Union Victoria, Westbourne, amd Whiteinch, while there is a Gaelic mission church at Partick.
There are (1882) 19 U.P. churches:-
Belhaven, Caledonia Road, Cumberland Street, Eglinton Street, Elgin Street, Erskine, Fairfield, Govan, Govanhill, Hutchesontown, Ibrox, Oatlands, Partick Dowanhill, Partick East and Partick Newton Place, Plantation, Pollockshields, Pollock Street and Whiteinch.
There are besides, 5 Roman Catholic churches, 3 Congregational, 3 Evangelical Union, 2 Baptist, 2 Episcopal, 2 Wesleyan Methodist, 1 Original Seceder and a barrack belonging to the Salvation Army.
(Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1883)
- Churches in Govan (NS651379):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Govan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
There are several very useful family history research resources in the City of Glasgow
- Details of the administrative areas of which Govan has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 ---- 1881 ---- 1891 ----