" Hamilton, parl. burgh, market town, and par., Lanarkshire, near the confluence of the Avon and the Clyde, 9¾ miles SE. of Glasgow and 382 NW. of London by rail - par. (which includes part of town of Motherwell and part of town of Larkhall), 14,243 ac., pop. 26,231; parliamentary and police burgh, pop. 18,517; 6 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday. The original town (called Netherton) occupied a site within the Duke of Hamilton's park; the present town dates from the early part of the 15th century.
The prosperity of the place depends chiefly upon the minerals (coal, ironstone, limestone, and sandstone), which are extensively worked in the neighbourhood. Hamilton is a brigade-depot, and has an extensive range of barracks; it has also several good middle-class schools. In the immediate vicinity are large market gardens, and numerous villas of Glasgow merchants. Along with Falkirk, Airdrie, Lanark, and Linlithgow, Hamilton pages 1 member to Parliament. On the low ground between the town and the Clyde is Hamilton Palace, seat of the Duke of Hamilton (and Brandon), the premier peer of Scotland; it includes a tower of 1591, but is chiefly modern, and is one of the most magnificent edifices in the kingdom; it stands in an extensive park, which contains the mausoleum, the chateau of Chatelherault, and Cadzow Castle. See CADZOW."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
by Rhona Wilson
published 1996 by Richard Stenlake Publishing, Ochiltree Sawmill, The Lade, Ochiltree, Ayrshire KA18 2NX
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Hamilton (NS723555):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hamilton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Search for Hamilton on the Gazetteer for Scotland.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Hamilton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
The local newspaper is the Hamilton Advertiser