" Lesmahagow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire - par., 41,299 ac., pop. 9949; vil. (also called Abbey Green), on river Nethan, 6 miles SW. of Lanark and 12 miles SE. of Hamilton, pop. 1386; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the parish church stands on the site of a 12th century priory; Lesmahagow is chiefly a mining parish, but large quantities of fruit are also grown."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Lesmahagow - The Parish and The People
written by Bill Clelland, this small book is available from the Lesmahagow Parish Historical Association and any profits from sales also go to this body.
Lanarkshire Family History Society have for sale Indexes of the 1851 census including for Lesmahagow.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
The Church of Scotland congregations in Lesmahagow come under the Presbytery of Lanark
On Friday 30th November 1683, John Cochrane, a shoemaker from Lesmahagow, was executed with other Covenanters.
John Steel was a leader of the Covenanters in the Lesmahagow area and some information about him, his father Robert and his brother William can be found here.
- Churches in Lesmahagow (NS814398):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lesmahagow area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Description of the Parish of Lesmahagow.You can see pictures of Lesmahagow which are provided by: GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Lesmahagow to another place.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Lesmahagow has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
Although not specifically a family history society, the Lesmahagow Parish Historical Association has a very substantial collection and answers many queries each year on family history. They have OPRs, Census (incl.1821!), graveyard transcriptions, Poll tax, 18th century Cess, Minister's catechising list etc etc. They don't have a web site but can be contacted via Julian Hodgson, 12 Greenrig Road, Hawksland, Lesmahagow ML11 9QA
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1831 ---- 1841 ---- 1851 ---- 1861 ---- 1871 ---- 1881 ---- 1891 ----
Lesmahagow High School