" Monkland, Old, par., N. Lanarkshire, on North Calder Water, 10,935 ac., pop. 37,323; contains Coatbridge; the church of Old Monkland is 1½ mile SW. of Coatbridge; coal and iron are extensively worked."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
For all enquiries about Cemeteries in North Lanarkshire contact:-
North Lanarkshire Council
1 Southerhouse Rd,
Lanarkshire ML5 4AA
It is understood that they will normally only accept written requests for information.
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Old Monkland (NS725635):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Old Monkland area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
A web site for the Monklands area of Lanarkshire can be found at http://www.monklands.com. This site includes pages devoted to Genealogy, including their Family History Information Exchange Board.
For History and Information on the town of Airdrie visit http://airdrie.net. This site covers all manner of information about the town and a Message Board which has been used by several overseas visitors looking for relatives and friends.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Old Monkland to another place.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Old Monkland has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
The local newspaper for the area is the Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser