" Shotts, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire - par. (containing Harthill and Benhar, Calderhead, and part of vil. of Shotts Ironworks), 24,944 ac., pop. 11,214; vil., 2¾ miles NW. of Shotts sta., which is 16½ miles SE. of Glasgow; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Coal and ironstone abound in the par., and are largely worked. Janet Hamilton (1795-1873), the poetess, was a native."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Dates of Old Parish Registers
- Churches in Shotts (NS876599):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shotts area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Shotts has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.