Lanarkshire Cemeteries

Cemeteries and Crematoria in Glasgow

Cemetery Registers
The History & Glasgow Room of the Mitchell Library holds the records of some twenty Glasgow cemeteries covering the period from the 18th century to the 1950s; there are a few also in Glasgow City Archives, as well as lair plans and registers of burials in intra-mural burial grounds, 1870-1950. The arrangement is chronological within each cemetery and there are no indexes. A comprehensive listing, including location of registers and monumental inscriptions can be found in:-

Additional cemetery registers for Glasgow, along with more recent records, are kept by the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section of the City of Glasgow Council Parks Department, 2 Port Dundas Place, Glasgow G2 3LB.

Monumental Inscriptions
Parish registers of burials are particularly defective in Scotland and gravestones are often the only surviving death record before compulsory registration began in 1855. Little transcription of gravestones has been done in Glasgow. The Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society has published a complete index to St David's Ramshorn Burial Ground. The Mitchell Library  holds lists for many other graveyards in Scotland - a full catalogue is available in the History & Glasgow Room.

Some Cemeteries past and present around  the City of Glasgow

 

Calton Cemetery (1786) Abercromby Street

Cardonald Cemetery (1922) 545 Mosspark Boulevard

 

Carmunnock Churchyard, Carmunnock Village

 

Cathcart Churchyard, 115 Carmunnock Road

Daldowie Crematorium (1955) Hamilton Road, Broomhouse, Uddingston

Eastern Necropolis (1847) Janefield Cemetery, 1264 Gallowgate

Eastwood New Cemetery (1911) 271 Thornliebank Road


Glasgow Necropolis (1832) Cathedral Square

Gorbals Churchyard (1715) Old Rutherglen Road

Govan Churchyard, 868 Govan Road

High Church Burial Ground,  Cathedral Square

(note: date of first surviving register for this burial ground is 1699)

Kirk Lane Cemetery (1764) Riverbank Street

Lambhill Cemetery (1881) 1035 Balmore Road

Linn Cemetery and Crematorium (1961) Lainshaw Drive

Maryhill Churchyard (1826) 1956 Maryhill Road

Partick Quaker Cemetery (1711) Keith Street, Partick

Ramshorn Churchyard (1720) Ingram Street

Riddrie Park Cemetery (1901) 1171 Cumbernauld Road

Sighthill Cemetery (1840) 225 Springburn Road
 (alternative entrance in Keppochhill Road)

Southern Necropolis (1840) 316 Caledonia Road

St Kentigern Cemetery (1882) 957 Balmore Road

Tollcross Churchyard (1806) Corbett Street

Western Necropolis (1882) Tresta Road


Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society
Abraham Lincs House, 

43 Queen Square
Glasgow, 

G41 2DB

Glenduffhill Cemetery (1937) 278 Hallhill Road, Glasgow,

Sandymount Cemetery (1906) Hallhill Road


Crematoria

Linn Cemetery and Crematorium (1961) Lainshaw Drive

Daldowie Crematorium (1955) Hamilton Road, Broomhouse, Uddingston

It is also worth noting that Clydebank Crematorium in West Dumbartonshire is also used by Glasgow folk.


Cemeteries in Glasgow | Cemeteries in North Lanarkshire | Cemeteries in South Lanarkshire

my thanks to June Willing for corrections to the data on this page.