"A village on the NorthWest border of Cockpen parish, Edinburghshire, near the Edinburgh and Peebles railway, ¾ mile South South East of Lasswade and 2 miles South West of Dalkeith. Only a collier village when the Queen drove through it (14 September 1842), it now represents the aspect of a cleanly, pleasant, well-built little town, a summer resort of families from Edinburgh."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
Bonnyrigg is made up of two parishes - Cockpen, and Lasswade.
The transcription of the section for Bonnyrigg from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The Lothians Family History Society
Lasswade High School Centre
Midlothian EH19 2LA
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell