"CARRINGTON, a parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, including the village of Carrington, or Primrose, 5 miles to the S. of Dalkeith. It is situated in a hilly country, on the banks of the South Esk, not far from the southern division of the North British railway. This district was anciently the estate of the Dalhousies, and afterwards of Sir A. Primrose. The workpeople are employed in the neighbouring mines. The surface rises at the Muirfoot hills to the height of 1,860 feet. The living, worth £158, is in the presbytery of Dalkeith, and in the patronage of the Earl of Roseberry, a descendant of Sir A. Primrose. The parish is about 4 miles long and 2 broad." "THORNTON, a village in the parish of Carrington, county Edinburgh, Scotland, near Borthwick." "WHITEFAUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Carrington, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Lasswade."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Carrington/Gaz1868.html