"A village and a parish in the south of Edinburghshire. The village, sometimes called Primrose, stands 3 furlongs from the south Esk's left bank, 2 miles West South West of Gorebridge station, 3 miles South East of Hawthornden and 5¼ miles south by west of Dalkeith.
The parish is bounded North by Cockpen, East by Borthwick, South East by Temple, South by Penicuik and South West, West and North West by Lasswade."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
Monumental inscriptions for Carrington can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for birth dating from 1706, for marriages from 1700 and for deaths from 1784. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Carrington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
1801 409 1831 561 1861 681 1871 712 1881 606 1891 563
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.