GENUKI Home page
index.html Cockpen    Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map

COCKPEN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COCKPEN, a parish in the district and county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 7 miles S.E. of Edinburgh. Its length in a northerly direction is 3½ miles, and its breadth 2½ miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Lasswade, Newbattle, and Carrington, and is traversed for about a mile by the South Esk. The surface, which is for the most part flat, is highly cultivated, and coal and freestone abound. The Marquis of Dalhousie is the principal landowner. Dalhousie Castle and the mansion of Cockpen both belong to the noble family of Ramsay. There is a large powder factory and a paper-mill at Westmill. The Hawick branch of the North British railway passes through the E. part of the parish, and has a station at Dalhousie. This parish is in the presbytery of Dalkeith, and in the patronage of the Marquis of Dalhousie stipend, £157. There is a Free church in the village of Bonnyrigg."

"DALHOUSIE, (or Dalwolsie), a village in the parish of Cockpen, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S.W. of Dalkeith. It is a station on the North British railway. Dalhousie Castle, the seat of the Marquis of Dalhousie, has stood many sieges, but has been greatly modernised.

"GOWKSHILL, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Dalkeith."

"HILLHEAD, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, 6 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"HUNTERFIELD, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"NEWBATTLE, a village in the parish of Cockpen, in the district and county of Edinburgh, 7 miles S.E. of Edinburgh. It is situated on the South Esk, and is chiefly inhabited by colliers."

"PRESTONHOLME, a hamlet in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Dalkeith, and 8 from Edinburgh, near the river South Esk."

"PULTON-STREET, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 8 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"SKILTIEMUIR, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S.W. of Dalkeith."

"STOBHILL-ENGINE, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 8 miles S.E. of Edinburgh, in the valley of the South Esk."

"WESTMILL, a village in the parish of Cockpen, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S.W. of Dalkeith. It is situated on the North Esk, adjoining the town of Lasswade, of which it forms a suburb."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Cockpen/Gaz1868.html


Valid HTML 4.0! Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Created 02 Jun 2006. Last updated 02 Jun 2006 - 14:59 Gaz3 v1.34c by Rosemary Lockie]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.