Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for COLINTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

COLINTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COLINTON, (or Collington), a parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Edinburgh. It is bounded by the parishes of Currie, Penicuick, Glencross, Lasswade, Corstorphine, St. Cuthbert's, and Liberton. It is about 4 miles in length from N. to S., by 3¾ miles from E. to W. The surface descends in a northerly direction from the northern branch of the Pentlands, which bound the parish on the S., and is for the most part highly cultivated. Sandstone is quarried at Redhall and at Hailes. The water of Leith intersects part of the parish, and the Union canal crosses the northern district.

At Slateford there is a station of the Edinburgh section of the Caledonian railway. The village of Colinton is situated near the centre of the parish, which contains corn, paper, flax, and other mills. This parish is in the presbytery of Edinburgh, and in the patronage of the male communicants. The minister has a stipend of £207. There is a Free church at Colinton, and an United Presbyterian church at Slateford. The chief seats are Colinton House, Bonally Castle, Craig Lockhart House, Comiston House, and Dreghorn Castle.

"HAILES QUARRY, a village in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Edinburgh. It was formerly a separate parish."

"JUNIPER GREEN, a post-office village in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S.S.W. of the metropolis, on the road from Slateford to Currie."

"KING'S KNOWE, a hamlet in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, three-quarters of a mile from Stateford, and 3 S.W. of Edinburgh. It is a station on the Edinburgh section of the Caledonian railway."

"LONGSTONE, a village in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Edinburgh."

"SLATEFORD, a village in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S.W. of Edinburgh, and 3½ N.E. of Currie. It is a station on the Caledonian railway. The village is situated near the Leith Water and the Union canal. There is a bleach field of large extent. An United Presbyterian church is situated in the village."

"SWANSTON, a village in the parish of Colinton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Edinburgh, on the skirts of the Pentland hills."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.