"A village and a parish of North West Edinburghshire. The village stands at the South-Western base of Corstorphine Hill, on the Glasgow road, 3 miles West by South of Edinburgh.
Sheltered from cold winds, and lying open to the sun, it commands a fair prospect across the wide level plain to Craiglockhart and the Pentlands, and is itself a pleasant little place, with a few old houses, and many more good cottages and first class villas.
The parish, containing also the village of Gogar, is bounded North by Cramond, East by St Cuthberts, South by Colinton, South West by Currie and Ratho, and West by Ratho.
The surface is an almost unbroken plain, about 200 feet above sea-level, save in the North East, where Corstorphine Hill slopes gradually upwards, its highest point (520 feet) being crowned by square, five storied, turreted Clermiston Tower, 70 feet high, built in 1872 on occasion of the Scott Centenary. Clothed with Scotch firs and hardwood trees, this hill figures widely in the Lothian landscape, and itself commands a magnificent view, especially from its steeper, eastern side, where, at a point called 'Rest-and -be-Thankful', two benches were placed in 1880 by the Cockburn Association."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland