"A village in the North West corner of Edinburghshire and a parish until 1891 partly also in Linlithgowshire.
The village is situated on the Firth of Forth at the East side of the mouth of the river Almond.
Its name in Celtic signifies 'the fort upon the Almond' and it occupies the site of an important Roman station, which was connected by a fine military way with the great English Watling Street and with Antonius' Wall, and which has yielded coins of eleven emperors, three altars, a pavement, and on other Roman remains.
The parish contains the seaport of Granton, the villages of Davidsons Mains and Cramond Bridge."
(Extract from Groomes Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895)