"A village in the North West corner of Edinburghshire and a parish until 1891 partly also in Linlithgowshire.
The village is situated on the Firth of Forth at the East side of the mouth of the river Almond.
Its name in Celtic signifies 'the fort upon the Almond' and it occupies the site of an important Roman station, which was connected by a fine military way with the great English Watling Street and with Antonius' Wall, and which has yielded coins of eleven emperors, three altars, a pavement, and on other Roman remains.
The parish contains the seaport of Granton, the villages of Davidsons Mains and Cramond Bridge."
(Extract from Groomes Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1651, for marriages from 1651 and for deaths from 1747. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Cramond from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.