"A Parish on the North East border of Edinburghshire, containing the villages of Cousland, Edgehead and Ford, the last being ½ mile West by North of Pathhead and 4¼ miles East South East of Dalkeith. Irregular in outline Cranston is bounded North West by Inveresk; North by Tranent; and East by Ormiston and Humbie, in Haddingtonshire; South West by Crichton and Borthwick; and West by Newbattle and Dalkeith."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
Cranston Church contains a small war memorial plaque "in ever lasting memory of the men from Ford U.F. (United Free) Church who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1919".
The following 10 names are listed:
James Barbour, William Binnie, Andrew Durward, Alexander Fisher, Thomas Fisher, James Gardiner, David Gillies, Archibald McKinlay, David McKinlay, Edward Reid
The parish church has records for births dating from 1682, for marriages from 1784 and for deaths from 1738. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cranston which are provided by:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.