"A parish on the East border of Edinburghshire, containing, at its northern extremity, the village of Pathhead, on the road from Edinburgh to Lauder, 5 miles East South East of Dalkeith, and 3 7/8 miles North of Tynehead station. Tynehead itself and Fala Dam hamlet (2¾ miles South East of Pathhead) also belong to Crichton, which is bounded North East by Cranston and by Humbie in Haddingtonshire; South East by Fala and Soutra and by Heriot, and West by Borthwick.
A rising-ground at Longfough, commanding a wide and beautiful prospect, is crowned by remains of a fort, supposed to be a Roman camp; but Crichton's chief antiquities are Crichton Castle and Cakemuir Castle, the former a massive ruin, forming the grand feature in the landscape."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895)
Monumental inscriptions for Crichton can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for births dating back from 1682, for marriages from 1679 and for deaths from1679. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Crichton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell