Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Duddingston is said to be a name of Gaelic origin, and to signify the house on the sunny side of the hill. It stands under the south cope of Arthur's Seat, raised upon an eminence, which is embraced on the west and south by the lake bearing the same name, and protected on the north by the mountain. The most beautiful and picturesque scenery expands before it, on every side. The views which it commands include every object which the painter would select to compose a rich or finished landscape. Magnificent villas, towering castles, rich vallies, cultivated fields, woods, groves, ruins, the lake below, the bold precipices of Arthur's Seat behind; the hills of Pentland, Moorfoot and Lammermoor, bouncing the prospect upon the west and south; and the sea sinking in the distant horizon, upon the east.
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
Many books about the parish are available online.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1631, for marriages from 1653 and for deaths from 1631. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world. More information on the above and also on some church records, such as church elders in 1677 (names given), church treasurers (with names given), parish church, parish ministers from 1560 - 1903, church session, Old Parish Registers, and session clerks are available online.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Duddingston which are provided by:
There are various maps of the parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT294724 (Lat/Lon: 55.939490, -3.131812), Duddingston which are provided by:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Information on Bailies of the Barony, with some names given, is available online.
Page Created by Margaret A. Mitchell