"A village and an ancient parish in the west of Edinburghshire. The village stands near the right bank of the Almond, ¾ mile eastnortheast of Mid Calder town and 1½ miles westnorthwest of Mid Calder Station."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
The parish church has records for birth dating from 1642, for marriages from 1704 and for deaths from 1708. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of East Calder which are provided by:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.