"CANON-MILLS, an old suburb of Edinburgh, now adjoining the north of the New Town, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland. It is seated on Leith Water, near the Granton branch railway. Here are large flour-mills and tanneries, and the engine-houses of the Edinburgh and Northern railway."
"COLTBRIDGE, a hamlet in the borough and county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1 mile W. of Edinburgh. It is situated on Leith Water, and was the scene in 1745 of an engagement between the royal troops and the forces of the Pretender, Charles Stuart, in which the latter defeated the dragoons."
"EASTER PORTSBURGH, (and Wester Portsburgh) two extensive suburbs in the borough of Edinburgh, county Edinburgh, Scotland, adjoining Edinburgh. They and are under the government of a baron bailie, and two bailies.
"GREENSIDE, a parish in Edinburgh city, county Midlothian, Scotland. See Edinburgh."
"GREY FRIARS, a parish in the city of Edinburgh, county Midlothian, Scotland. See Edinburgh."
"LITTLE FRANCE, a village in county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S.E. of Edinburgh. It consists of a cluster of houses adjoining the ruin of Craigmillar Castle, or Petit France, as it was named by Mary Queen of Scots, who restored the ancient castle, which had been burnt by the Earl of Hertford in 1544, and made it her favourite seat. The ruin includes a square keep, reception hall, and Queen Mary's room, a small chamber only 7 feet by 5, with part of the machicolated wall and towers."
"PORT-HOPETOUN, a small suburb in Edinburgh, county Edinburgh, Scotland, half a mile S.W. of Edinburgh. It is situated near the basin of the Union canal."
"TRINITY COLLEGE CHURCH, a parish in the city and county of Edinburgh, Scotland."
"TRON CHURCH, a parish in the city and county of Edinburgh, Scotland. See Edinburgh."
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.