Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for GLENCROSS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

GLENCROSS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GLENCROSS, (or Glencorse), a parish in the county Edinburgh, Scotland, 6 miles S. of Edinburgh. Penicuick is its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the Glencross burn, and is bordered by the parishes of Colinton, Lasswade, and Pennycuick. It is nearly of a circular form, having a diameter of about 3 miles. The surface is hilly, containing part of the Pentland range. There was formerly a large extent of moorland, but it has been reclaimed and well cultivated. The Glencross burn issues from a reservoir of the Edinburgh Water Company, and falls into the river Esk.

This parish is in the presbytery of Dalkeith and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister has a stipend of £157. The church was built in 1665. This parish was detached from Pentland and Pennycuick, and constituted a separate parish in 1616. Falford, or Woodhouselee, a fine old mansion, is the seat of the Tytler family. Other residences are Glencross, Loganbank, Bellwood, and Bush.

This parish is said to be the scene of the "Gentle Shepherd". At Bullion Green General Dalziel entirely routed a body of Covenanters in 1666. A stone bearing an inscription to some of the fallen commemorates the event. There is a small barrack in the parish. A chapel called St. Catherine-of-the-Hopes formerly stood here, but its site is now covered by the "compensation pond", or reservoir of the Edinburgh waterworks.

"AUCHENDINNY, a village in the parish of Glencross, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 8 miles to the S. of Edinburgh. It is situated in the beautiful valley of the North Esk. Here is a paper-mill, which is probably the oldest in Scotland. Mackenzie, author of the "Man of Feeling", resided at Auchendinny House."

"GREENLAW, a village and military station in the parish of Glencross, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles N. of Pennycuick. The mansion of Greenlaw was formerly the seat of Judge Philips, and afterwards converted into a military prison."

"PENTLAND, an ancient parish now joined with that of Glencross, county Edinburgh, Scotland."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.