"GLENCROSS, (or Glencorse), a parish in the county Edinburgh, Scotland, 6 miles S. of Edinburgh. Penicuick is its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the Glencross burn, and is bordered by the parishes of Colinton, Lasswade, and Pennycuick. It is nearly of a circular form, having a diameter of about 3 miles. The surface is hilly, containing part of the Pentland range. There was formerly a large extent of moorland, but it has been reclaimed and well cultivated. The Glencross burn issues from a reservoir of the Edinburgh Water Company, and falls into the river Esk. This parish is in the presbytery of Dalkeith and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister has a stipend of £157. The church was built in 1665. This parish was detached from Pentland and Pennycuick, and constituted a separate parish in 1616. Falford, or Woodhouselee, a fine old mansion, is the seat of the Tytler family. Other residences are Glencross, Loganbank, Bellwood, and Bush. This parish is said to be the scene of the "Gentle Shepherd". At Bullion Green General Dalziel entirely routed a body of Covenanters in 1666. A stone bearing an inscription to some of the fallen commemorates the event. There is a small barrack in the parish. A chapel called St. Catherine-of-the-Hopes formerly stood here, but its site is now covered by the "compensation pond", or reservoir of the Edinburgh waterworks. "AUCHENDINNY, a village in the parish of Glencross, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 8 miles to the S. of Edinburgh. It is situated in the beautiful valley of the North Esk. Here is a paper-mill, which is probably the oldest in Scotland. Mackenzie, author of the "Man of Feeling", resided at Auchendinny House." "GREENLAW, a village and military station in the parish of Glencross, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles N. of Pennycuick. The mansion of Greenlaw was formerly the seat of Judge Philips, and afterwards converted into a military prison." "PENTLAND, an ancient parish now joined with that of Glencross, county Edinburgh, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Glencorse/Gaz1868.html