"Glencross is situated 7 miles W of Edinburgh. The roads lead to Biggar, Moffat and Peebles, run through it. The extent of it is nearly about 3 miles from E to W and the same from S to N. It is bounded on the E and S by the parish of Lasswade and on the W and N by the parish of Pennycuick and Colington. It had formerly been part of the parish of Lasswade and Pennycuick and was erected into a separate parish in 1616.
There are some vestiges of camps at Castlelaw, from which the place takes its name. At Rullion Green, was fought the battle of Pentland-hill on November 28th 1665. A stone is erected in memory of this battle with a rude inscription. Old Woodhouselee was formerly the property and residence of Hamilton of Bothwell-haugh and it was from this house that the Regent Murray turned out the Lady of Hamilton to the inclemency of the season. The resentment of which was the cause of the Regent's death."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
Monumental Inscriptions for Old Glencorse can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1672, marriages from 1673 and for deaths from 1673. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Glencross from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.