"A village and a parish of W Edinburghshire. The village stands 5 furlongs E by S of Midcalder or Kirknewton Junction on the Caledonian railway, this being 36 ¼ miles E of Glasgow, and 11 WSW of Edinburgh. It has a post office, with money order, savings bank, and telegraph departments, a public hall, an inn, and a police station.
The parish, containing also the villages of East Calder, Oakbank and Wilkieston, comprises the ancient parishes of Kirknewton and East Calder.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1642, for marriages from 1642 and for deaths from 1642. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kirknewton which are provided by:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.