"LEITH, a seaport town, and municipal and parliamentary burgh, in county Edinburgh, Scotland. It was originally called Inverleith, and includes the parish of North Leith, nearly the whole of South Leith parish, and a small part of the parish of St. Cuthbert, Edinburgh. It is situated 2 miles N.N.E. of the cross of Edinburgh (of which city it is the port), in 55° 58' N. lat., 3° 9' W. long., on the S. shore of the Frith of Forth. The town is about 1 mile long, and measures about half a mile at its broadest point."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The transcription of the section for Leith from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Rosemary Lockie
© Copyright Rosemary Lockie, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Leith/index.html