"A village and a parish on the west border of Edinburghshire. The village stands on rising ground, near the left bank of the Almond, which here receives the confluent Murieston and Linhouse Waters, 2 miles west by north of Mid Calder or Kirknewton junction."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1604, for marriages from 1604 and for deaths from 1734. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Mid Calder from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
Below is a list of Midcalder's population in various years.
1801 1014 1831 1489 1861 1389 1871 1634 1881 1698
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.