"MUSSELBURGH, a post and market town, parliamentary burgh, burgh of regality, and bathing-place, in the parish of Inveresk, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2½ miles E.S.E. of Portobello, 4 N.E. of Dalkeith, and 5½ E. by S. of Edinburgh. It is a station on the Edinburgh, Portobello, Musselburgh, and Eskbank branch of the North British railway. It stands on the right bank and near the mouth of the river Esk, in a fertile spot, about 3 furlongs S. of the Frith of Forth, from which it is divided by the sandy downs called Musselburgh Links."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The transcription of the section for Musselburgh from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Records relating to the Parish of Inveresk & the Burgh of Musselburgh - a comprehensive collection provided by John Robertson.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Rosemary Lockie
© Copyright Rosemary Lockie, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Musselburgh/index.html