Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
NEWHAVEN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NEWHAVEN, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of North Leith, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 1 mile W. of Leith. It is a station on the Edinburgh and Granton railway. It is situated on the Frith of Forth, and is a sub-port to Leith, to which place it was annexed, with its adjacent lands, in 1630. It has a stone pier, also a chain pier, the latter lying to the W. of the village. It was erected in the years 1821 and 1822, by Sir S. Brown, and consists of three spans of 290 feet each. The pierhead has a fixed light, 15 feet in height, and visible at 5 miles distance.
The village of Newhaven, which is much resorted to as a sea-bathing place, was founded by James III., and called New Haven in contradistinction to the Old Haven of Leith. In 1508 Sir James Cowie resigned the chaplaincy to the king, who sold it to the city of Edinburgh, to which it still belongs, being within the jurisdiction of the city and burgh of Edinburgh. It gave title of viscount to the Cheynes of Cogengo. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries.
Between Newhaven and Leith are the extensive barracks of the royal artillery; and to the westward is Trinity, so called from the land on which it stands being the property of the Trinity House. It contains commodious baths, resorted to by numerous visitors in the season; and many villas and dwellings have recently been erected. The living is in the presbytery of Edinburgh and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of the trustees and seat-holders. The church was rebuilt in 1838. There are also a Free church and several schools."