GENUKI Home page
index.html Newton    Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map

NEWTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NEWTON, a parish in the N.E. district of county Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Edinburgh. It comprises the villages of Millerhill, Easter-Millerhill, Wester-Millerhill, Adamsrow, Claybarns, Edmonstone, New Engine, Old Engine, Sheriffhall Engine, Pentecox, Redrow, and Squaretown. It extends about 2½ miles in length from S.E. to N.W., and is upwards of 1 mile in extreme breadth. The surface is in general flat, and a large portion is under cultivation. The collieries, which are very productive, have been worked for 250 years, but some of them have been recently abandoned, and a decrease in the population has followed. A circular camp exists at Kaim-Hill.

The village is situated on the river North Esk, and near the Dalkeith railway. The parish is traversed by the roads from Edinburgh, Leith, and Musselburgh, to Dalkeith. This parish is in the presbytery of Dalkeith, and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister has a stipend of £290. The parish church was erected in 1742, and was reseated in 1819. There are parochial and other schools."

"ADAM'S ROW, a village in the parish of Newton, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles to the S.E. of Edinburgh."

"BACKDEAN, a hamlet in the parish of Newton, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles from Edinburgh."

"CLAYBARNS, a village in the parish of Newton, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"EASTER MILLERHILL, (and Wester Millerhill) villages in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Edinburgh, and 1½ mile N.W. of Dalkeith. They are situated on the North British railway, and are chiefly inhabited by colliers.

"EDMONDSTONE, a village in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles N.W. of Dalkeith, near the village of Woolmet. Here, in 1547, the Scots encamped at the battle of Pinkie. Edmondstone House stands in a fine park; the estate, from a very early date down to the end of the 16th century, belonged to the Edmondstones, who were supposed to have come over with the Queen of Malcolm Canmore. There is a considerable quantity of coal mined here."

"NEW and OLD ENGINE, two villages in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Edinburgh.

"PENTECOX, a village in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"REDROW, a hamlet in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 7 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

"SHERRIFFHALL ENGINE, a hamlet in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Edinburgh. It is situated near the river North Esk, and is chiefly inhabited by colliers."

"SQUARETOWN, a village in the parish of Newton, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Edinburgh."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/Newton/Gaz1868.html


Valid HTML 4.0! Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Created 02 Jun 2006. Last updated 02 Jun 2006 - 14:59 Gaz3 v1.34c by Rosemary Lockie]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.