"Newton, a parish of North East Edinburghshire, containing the post-office village of Millerhill, with a station on the Waverley section of the North British railway, 2 miles North North West of the post-town Dalkeith, and 6¼ miles South East of Edinburgh. Since the Reformation it has comprehended the ancient parishes of Newton (to the South East) and Wymet or Woolmet (to the North West). Bounded South West and North West by Liberton, North East by Inveresk, and South East by Dalkeith."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer, Scotland c.1895)
Monumental inscriptions for Newton can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead. (Pre 1855)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1629, for marriages from 1639 and for deaths from1730. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Newton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Records relating to the Parish of Newton - a comprehensive collection provided by John Robertson.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell