"North Leith originally belonged to the parish of Holyroodhouse, from which it was disjoined and erected into a separate parish in 1606. It then comprehended only the village of North Leith, and teh coal hill, which are part of the barony of Broughton, but in the year 1630 the barionies of Newhaven, and Hillhouse-field, which belonged to the parish of St Cuthberts or West Kirk, were annexed to it. The parish is of an oblong figure, extending along the seachore about an English mile in length, and is a ¼ mile in breadth, it is bounded by the Firth of Forth on the north, by the parish of St Cuthberts on the west, and by South Leith on the south and east."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
"The story of Leith" by John Russell was published by Thomas Nelson & Sons, Ltd of London and Edinburgh in 1922. The book is 472 pages long and includes an index. The history starts with prehistoric times and runs through to the First World War, just before the book was published.
"The Port of Leith: its history and its people" by Sue Mowat, ISBN 0 85976 403 6, published by Forth Ports PLC (Leith) in conjunction with John Donald Publishers Ltd. The bokk concentrates on the history since 1329 when Leith was granted by Robert the Bruce to the burgesses of Edinburgh. The story is told through the people of Leith, and illustrated throughout with photographs, drawings and copies of original documents. The history runs right up to 1994 and there is an extensive bibliography section at the end, as well as a detailed index. The book is 468 pages long.
The parish church has records for births from 1615, for marriages from 1605 and for deaths from 1754. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.