GENUKI Home page
index.html St Cuthbert    Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map

ST. CUTHBERT - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. CUTHBERT, (or West Kirk), is a huge massive structure with double galleries, rebuilt in 1770 on the site of a very ancient church of the 11th century, situated under the N.W. face of the Castle Rock, at the corner of Prince's-street. It has belonging to it several chapels-of-ease, as Buccleuch, Dean, St. David's, Morningside, Roxburgh, Hope Park, and Lady Glenorchy's. There are, besides, Lady Yester's, rebuilt in 1803; Newington, built in 1823, with a steeple 110 feet high; and St. John's parish church, built in 1838."

"BELL'S MILLS, a village in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, in the suburbs of the city of Edinburgh, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland. It is seated on the banks of Leith Water, and is the site of several extensive flour-mills."

"BONNINGTON, a village in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1 mile from Edinburgh. It is seated near the coast of the Frith of Forth, on Leith water, and is a station on the Leith and Granton branch of the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee railway. There is a mineral spring, the water of which is much esteemed."

"BUCCLEUGH, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland. The living is in the presbytery of Edinburgh, and in the patronage of St. Cuthbert's session."

"DALRY, a locality in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated 1 mile S.W. of Edinburgh, and the villages of Easter and Wester Dalry, now undistinguishable as separate communities, formerly occupied its site."

"LADY YESTERS, a parish in the city of Edinburgh, county Midlothian, Scotland. See Edinburgh."

"MORNINGSIDE, a village in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles S. of the city of Edinburgh. It has a station on the Caledonian railway. It is situated under Blackford hills, near Tipperlin, and contains the Edinburgh lunatic asylum. The "Bore Stone", in which James IV. placed his standard when on his march to Flodden in 1513, is still to be seen in the wall by the public road. There is a Free church, also a chapel-of-ease; the former was erected in 1844, and the latter in 1837."

"NEWINGTON, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, county Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated near Arthur's Seat, and is a suburb of the city of Edinburgh, lying to the extreme S. of the town."

"TIPPERLIN, a quondam village in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, county Edinburgh, Scotland, a quarter of a mile W. of Morningside."

"WATER OF LEITH, a village in the parish of Edinburgh St. Cuthbert, county Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated on the Water of Leith, not far from Edinburgh."

"WESTER DALRY, a village in the county of Edinburgh, 1 mile W. of Edinburgh.

"YESTER'S LADY, a parish in the burgh and county of Edinburgh, Scotland. See Edinburgh."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: /big/sct/MLN/StCuthberts/Gaz1868.html


Valid HTML 4.0! Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Created 02 Jun 2006. Last updated 02 Jun 2006 - 14:59 Gaz3 v1.34c by Rosemary Lockie]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.