"St Cuthberts or West Church Parish - It is not perfectly easy to draw a precise line between the suburbs and the country, and therefore it is necessary to mention that the inhabitants of Lauriston, Tollcross, Castlebarns, Fountainbridge, West Church Charity Workhouse, Water of Leith, Stockbridge, Silvermills, Canonmills, Broughton and Leith Walk are included in the numbers stated for the suburbs."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1573, for marriages from 1744 and for deaths from 1740. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for St Cuthbert from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell