"TEMPLE, a parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland. It contains the village of its own name, and those of Gorebridge and Stobbsmills, also the ancient parish of Clerkington. It extends in length 8¾ miles from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of about 5, and consists of a main body and of a detached district; the former is bounded by Peeblesshire, and by the parishes of Pennycuik, Carrington, Borthwick, and Heriot, and the latter, comprising about 300 acres, is encircled by the parishes of Newbattle and Borthwick. The surface is hilly, rising in some arts 2,000 feet above sea-level. The soil of the arable ands is fertile. Coal, sandstone, and limestone abound.
The parish is within easy access of the Gorebridge, Fushiebridge, and Dalhousie stations on the Edinburgh and Hawick railway. The village of Temple is about 6 miles from Dalkeith, and 12¼ S.E. of Edinburgh. It is situated on the rivers Gladhouse and South Esk. In the vicinity is an old Gothic church, founded by David I. for the Knights Templars. This parish is in the presbytery of Dalkeith and synod of Lothian and Tweedale. The stipend of the minister is about £158. The parish church was erected in 1832. There are a Free church for Temple and Carrington, a sub-parochial school, two other schools, and a subscription library. At Gorebridge is an United Presbyterian church. The principal seat is Toxside."
"GLADHOUSEMILL, a village in the parish of Temple, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 9 miles S. of Dalkeith. It is situated on the Gladhousemill water, which joins the South Esk."
"GOREBRIDGE, a post village in the parish of Temple, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Dalkeith. It is a station on the Hawick branch of the North British railway. It stands on the Gore water, near the village of Stobbs, and contains an United Presbyterian church, two schools, library, and police station."
"HOWBURN, a village in the parish of Temple, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Pennycuick."
"MOORFOOT HILLS, a double range of moorish hills, mostly in the parishes of Borthwick, Heriot, Temple, and Stow, county Edinburgh, Scotland. They rise from 1,320 feet to 1,860 in height, and are of a slaty nature with lydian stone."
"MUIRFORT, an ancient parish now joined to Temple, county Edinburgh."
"NICOLSON, an ancient parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, now joined to Temple."
"STOBBS, a village in the parishes of Borthwick and Temple, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 6 miles S. of Dalkeith. It is a station on the North British railway. It is situated on the river South Esk. The chief part of the inhabitants are employed in the gunpowder mills, erected in 1794."
"THE KIPPS, a hill in the parish of Temple, county Edinburgh, Scotland. Its height is 1,785 feet above the level of the sea.
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.