"A village and a parish in the S of Edinburghshire. The village stands 605 feet above sea-level, on the right bank of the South Esk, 3 miles SW of Gorebridge station, 7 S by W of Dalkeith, and 12 ¼ SSE of Edinburgh. It is a quiet, sequestered, little place, with a post office under Gorebridge.
The parish is bounded NE by Borthwick, SE by Heriot, S and SW by Innerleithen and Eddleston in Peeblesshire, and NW by Penicuik and Carrington. Its utmost length, from N by E to S by W, is 8 1/8 miles; its utmost breadth is 5 5/8 miles; and the area is 22½ square miles or 14,250 ¾ acres. A detached part of the parish, containing the greater part of Gorebridge village, and comprising 228 acres, was transferred by teh Boundary Commissioners in 1891 to the parish of Borthwick. The river South Esk, rising at an altitude of 1700 feet on the western slope of Blackhope Scar, winds 9 7/8 miles north-by-eastward through all the length of the parish, and quits it at the influx of Fullarton and Redside Burn, which traces all the north-western border."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895)
Monumental inscriptions for Old Temple can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1688, for marriages from 1689 and for deaths from 1697. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Temple from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Below is a list of the population of Temple in various years.
1801 855 1831 1255 1861 1385 1871 1536 1881 1551 1891 455
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell