|West Calder||Contents &
"WEST CALDER, a parish in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, containing a village of the same name, 16 miles to the S.W. of Edinburgh. It lies in a hilly country on the S. side of the Breich Water, a branch of the Almond Water. Limestone is quarried extensively, and there is abundance of coal and ironstone. The living, worth £158, is in the presbytery of Linlithgow, in the patronage of John Drysdale, Esq. There is a Free Church preaching station and an United Presbyterian church. Castle Craig is the site of a Roman camp, and Roman antiquities have been found there. There are also remains of an ancient fort. The parish is about 10 miles in length and 5 in breadth. "CROSSWOODHILL, a village in the parish of West Calder, in the county of Edinburgh, Scotland, 7 miles S. of Mid Calder." "HARBURN, a village in county Edinburgh, Scotland, 3 miles S.E. of West Calder. It is situated under the Cairnhills, near Breich water, and is a station on the Edinburgh section of the Caledonian railway." "HARWOOD, a village in the parish of West Calder, county Edinburgh, Scotland, 2 miles from West Calder. It is situated on the Harwood Water, a feeder of the Almond Water." "WEST CALDER, a parish in the district of West Edinburgh, county Edinburgh, Scotland. See Calder."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
© Copyright Colin Hinson, GENUKI and contributors, 1999-2006, &c.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an Organisation
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/MLN/WestCalder/Gaz1868.html