"ALVES, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 5 miles to the W. of Elgin. It lies in a pleasant district, on the coast of the Moray Frith, and comprises the hamlets of Coltfield and Crook. There are quarries of freestone and millstone. The only relic of feudal times is the Castle of Asleisk, on the demesne of the Earl of Fife. The Knock of Alves is a small wooded hill at the east end of the parish; with which a tradition has been connected of Macbeth and the witches. The soil is generally fertile. The living is in the presbytery of Elgin, value £215, in the patronage of the Earl of Moray. The parish church was built in 1769, and has 590 sittings. There is also a Free church, three private schools, and a small parochial library. The parish contains about 25 square miles."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Alves from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Alves.