BELLIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BELLIE, a parish partly in the county of Elgin, and partly in the county of Banff, Scotland, 20 miles to the W. of Banff, and 138 miles to the N. of Edinburgh. It is situated in a fertile and beautiful district on the sea-coast, to the east of the river Spey, and contains the town of Fochabers, in Morayshire, and the village of Auchinhalrig, in Banffshire. The surface consists chiefly of pasture lands, and suffered materially from the inundation of the Spey in 1829. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the salmon fisheries. The living, of the value of £174, is in the presbytery of Strathbogie, and in the patronage of the Duke of Richmond. There are two Free churches, one for the district of Fochabers, and the other for that of Enzie. There are also at Fochabers an Episcopalian chapel and a Roman Catholic chapel; besides a Roman Catholic chapel at Auchinhalrig. The Duke of Cumberland rested a night in the manse of Bellie, on his way to Culloden. Near Fochabers is Gordon Castle, the magnificent seat of the Duke of Richmond, to whom the parish chiefly belongs. The parish extends above 5 miles in length from N. to S., with an average breadth of 3 miles."
"FOCHABERS, a post town and burgh of barony, in the parish of Bellie, county Moray, Scotland, 8 miles S.E. of Elgin, and 138 from Edinburgh. It is a station on the Inverness and Aberdeen junction railway. The town is situated in a valley on the right bank of the river Spey, which is crossed by a bridge of three arches. It is an improving little place, consisting of a square and four principal diverging thoroughfares. It contains the parish church, a Free church, Episcopal and Roman Catholic chapels, school, library, banks, and insurance offices, and is governed by a bailie. The town is lighted with gas. The Duke of Richmond is the owner. Gordon Castle stands close by. A sheriff's and small-debt court is held on Saturday, and a market on Thursday. Fairs are held on the following Wednesdays-the third in January, fourth in March, May, October, and December, and the second in August for cattle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]