GENUKI Home page
Morayshire Morayshire    Contents Contents

BOHARM

"The ancient name is Bocharin; in the original signifying the bow about the cairn, or rocky hill, from its surrounding nearly three parts of the bottom of the mountain of Beneageen. The length, between the parish of Mortlich, at the west, and the parish of Bellie, at the east, is from 7 to 9 English miles; the breadth, from the parish of Botriphnie, at the south, to the highest cultivated land on the mountain, northward, is from 2 to 3 English miles; but the figure of the parish is so irregular, that these measures are to be regarded as the mean, rather than the particular length and breadth. The general appearance of the country may be conceived as an extensive valley from east to west, having all the arable land hanging on the declivities of both sides, there being little or no plain on the banks of the brooks, which, rising in the hills, bend their courses to either hand; to Fiddich, on the west; and, by the east, turning by the north-west to Spey. From this general description, Airndilly, the seat of David M'Dowall Grant, Esq; falls to be excepted, being delightfully situated on a rising ground, above a pretty extensive plain, half encircled by the Spey, in the south-western end of the parish, near to which, a little farther down the river, lie the haughs of Kailymore, a part of the same estate, signifying the great wood; which epithet, in some degree, it still comparatively merits." From The Statistical Account for Scotland, 1791-1799.

Church Records

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

A transcript of Parish of Boharm by Rev. Francis Leslie.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

There was, anciently, a parish called Dundurcas, which lay on either side of the River Spey. In 1788, it was "suppressed", and that part of its territory which lay on the east bank of the River Spey was divided between the parishes of Boharm and Rothes. The major part, which was deemed to lie in the county of Moray, was transferred to Boharm. On 1st May 1891, this area was transferred to Banffshire.

The implications of this anomaly vary for different archives, and different periods of time. The whole of the more recent OPRs, and the civil records of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the parish of Boharm are now catalogued under Banffshire. However, if you can trace ancestors in the affected area back before 1788, then they are likely to be found in the OPRs for the parish of Rothes, Moray, which fell heir to the records for the suppressed parish of Dundurcas. Up to and including the 1891 Census, Boharm (including the Banffshire portions) will be found on the Census films for Moray. From 1901, it is on the Banffshire films.

The place affected are: Auchroisk, Backshalloch, Balnabriech, Bauds, Blackfolds, Blackhillock, Boharm, Burghnamary, Cairnty, Mains of Cairnty, Easterton of Cairnty, Newtack of Cairnty, Woodhead of Cairnty, Clachnayell, Clachwarren, Clockenwells, Craigbeg, Craighead, Culfoldie, Cullieshangan, Cummingston, Delfur, Drakenmyres, Lower Drakenmyres, Forgie, Moor of Forgie, Newton of Forgie, Garlands, Goodgrain, Gorlieach, Holl, Janetsleys, Jock's Lodge, Kirkton, Knoweheads, Lachdhu, Lochdhu, Malcolmsburn, Marchbraes, Midtown, Moorfield, Mountfoot, Mulben, Mains of Mulben, Upper Mulben, Parkfoot, Rosarie Gates, Shalloch, Shandstown, Soundmoor, Lower Soundmoor, Upper Soundmoor, Starryhowe, Stonytown, Lower Strypeside, Tam, Walkerstrough, Whitehillock

Return to top of page

Population

Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861
Population 1161 1190 1206 1385 1261 1368 1412
Year 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911 1921 1931
Population 1337 1166 1266 1128 990 865 804

N.B. In 1891, a portion of the parish in the county of Moray was added to the census.

Return to top of page


Information supplied to GENUKI by Gordon Troup.
[Last updated: 3 Dec 2013 by David McFarlane]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.