"CARNACH, a quoad sacra parish in Contin, Fodderty, and Urray parishes, S Ross-shire, comprising a secluded Highland valley, 14 miles long and only 1/6 mile broad. Its post-town is Beauly, 20 miles distant. The population, in 1830, was 1056, but, in consequence of the introduction of sheep-farming, it fell to 711 in 1836, to 325 in 1871, and to 296 in 1881. Most of the inhabitants are either small tenants or shepherds. Carnach is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. Stipend, £120, with manse and glebe. The church was built in 1830, chiefly at the expense of Government, and contains 320 sittings.""
Description from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, (1882-4)
- View pictures of Carnach and nearby places.
- View maps of Carnach and places within its boundaries.