DUFFUS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DUFFUS, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It contains the towns of Burgh-Head, Hopeman, and New Duffus, the villages of Cummingston, Roseisle, College of Roseisle, and Kaim, and the hamlets of Kirktown, Buthill, Starwood, Old Roseisle, Inskiel, and Unthank. It extends eastward along the Moray Firth for 5 miles, with a breadth of 3 miles. It is bounded on the N. by the Moray Firth, and on the other sides by the parishes of Drainie, Spynie, and Alves. The surface is flat and richly cultivated, and the soil fertile. The climate is remarkably mild, and there is little rain. The loch of Spynie, previous to being drained, extended a mile into this parish, and washed the mound on which Duffus Castle stood, on its north-western shore. There are freestone quarries on the coast line, which towards the E. is bold. Limestone also occurs, and is burned for manure and other purposes. There are six principal landowners, three of whom, viz. Sir Archibald Dunbar, Bart., of Northfield, Stuart of Inverugie, and Brander of Roseislehaugh, are resident. The village of New Duffus stands 5 miles N.W. of Elgin. This parish is in the presbytery of Elgin and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of Sir Archibald Dunbar, Bart. The minister has a stipend of £232. There is a royal bounty chapel of the establishment at Burgh-Head, where there are also a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. There is an Episcopalian chapel near Kaim."
"BURGH-HEAD, (or Brough-head), a promontory and a village in the parish of Duffus, in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 8 miles to the N.W. of Elgin. It is seated on the S. coast of the Moray Frith, on Burgh Bay, under the promontory, near the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction railway. It has a small but excellent harbour, subordinate to the port of Inverness, and a coastguard station. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the herring and salmon fisheries. The village is regularly built and is frequented as a watering-place. It contains a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. In the vicinity is a Roman bath or well of brackish water, and also the remains of an ancient fortification."
"COLLEGE OF ROSEISLE, a hamlet in the parish of Duffus, in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 4 miles N.W. of Elgin. It is situated near the coast of Burghead Bay."
"CUMMINGSTON, (or Port Cumming), a small village in the parish of Duffus, in the county of Moray, Scotland. It is situated a little E. of Burghead."
"HOPEMAN, a postal village and small port in the parish of Duffus, county Elgin, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Elgin. It is situated at a small harbour bearing its name on the Firth of Moray. It is a place of modern growth, and owned by Admiral Duff. There is a Free church. Some curious caverns have been discovered in the vicinity."
"ROSE ISLE, a hamlet in the parish of Duffus, county Elgin, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Elgin, near Burghead Bay."
"UNTHANK, an ancient parish, county Elgin, Scotland, now joined to Duffus."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]