"DYKE, (and Moy) a parish in the counties of Elgin and Nairn, Scotland, 3 miles W. of Forres. It is situated on the river Findhorn, near the coast. The road from Inverness to Aberdeen traverses the parish, which contains Kintessack and Whitemyre. It is in the presbytery of Forres and synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £250, in the patronage of the crown and Grant of Moy. The village contains the parish church, a free church and schools. Near here is the heath of Hardmoor, celebrated as the spot where Macbeth met the weird sisters on his journey to the castle of Forres. The principal mansions are: Darnaway Castle, the seat of the Earl of Moray, with its extensive plantations, and the old hall of the regent Randolph; Brodie House, Dalvey House, Moy, and Kincorth.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Dyke from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Dyke.