"EDINKILLIE, a parish in county Elgin, Scotland. It lies along the right bank of the Findhorn, on the W. side of the county. Forres is its post town. It is surrounded by Dyke, Rafford, Dallas, Kuockando, Crondale, Ardclach, and Alldearn. It is 13 miles long by 7 wide. The surface is hilly. The Knock of Moray rises 1,000 feet above sea level. The Divie and other tributaries of the Findhorn water the interior. There is a large proportion of pasture and a considerable amount of fine wood, the principal forests being Darnaway and Dlndaff, which add beauty to one of the most romantic rivers of Scotland. This parish is in the presbytery of Forres and synod of Moray. The minister has a stipend of £174. The church was erected in 1741. There are a Free church, two Society schools, a girls' school, savings bank, and parish library. The residences are Logie, Dunphail, and Rellgas, besides a shooting lodge of the Earl of Moray. The bridge of Rannich over the Divie, near Dunphail Castle, is very ancient, and is supposed to be named after Randolph, Earl of Moray, Regent of Scotland. There are ruins of an old fortification on the Downe Hill, Rellgas. Lochindorb is an expansion of the Dorback, a feeder of the Findhorn. Within it is an island, with ruins of a castle. Great numbers of salmon are taken at Sluie."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]