"SPEYMOUTH, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It contains the villages of Garmouth, Kingston Port, and Mosstodlach. The present parish consists of the two ancient parishes of Dippel and Essil, and the barony of Garmouth, which were erected into one parish by a decree of the Court of Session, dated the 14th of July, 1731, when the present name was given to the united parish from its situation at the mouth of the river Spey. It extends in length about 6½ miles from N. to S., with a mean breadth of about 1½ mile, and is bounded on the N. by the Moray Firth, on the E. by the river Spey, which is said to be the most rapid river in Scotland, on the S. by Rothes, and on the W. by Urquhart. The surface is level near the coast, but rises gradually towards the interior, and terminates in a high hill to the S. It abounds in wood and moorland, with about 50 acres of moss. The parish is traversed from S. to N. by the great road from Garmouth, and from W. to E. by the road from Keith to Elgin. It has water communication, and is within easy access of the Inverness and Aberdeen railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Elgin, synod of Moray. The stipend of the minister is about £135. The parish church was erected in 1732, and enlarged and restored in 1799. There is a free church, also parochial and four other schools. The ancient hospital of St. Nicholas way founded by one of the Bishops of Moray."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Speymouth from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Speymouth.