"SPYNIE, (or New Spynie), a parish in county Elgin, Scotland, containing the villages of New Spynie and Bishopmill, and the site of Old Spinie, which was made a burgh of regality in 1452. It extends in length about 4 miles from W. to E., with a mean breadth of about 2 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Duffus, Drainie, St. Andrew's Chanbride, Elgin, and Alves. The surface is moderately even, with the exception of a ridge of hills, 3 miles in length, which crosses the centre of the parish. The southern boundary is watered by the river Lossie. The parish is traversed by the roads to Burghead and Torres, and by the railway from Elgin to Lossiemouth. The village is situated about 2 miles N.W. of Elgin, and near Spynie Loch, now drained. In the vicinity is the tower of the ancient palace of the bishops of Moray, whose cathedral was removed to Elgin in 1224. This parish is in the presbytery of Elgin and synod of Moray. The stipend of the minister is £185. The parish church, which was erected in 1736, is situated at Quarrymount Hill, under a Danish camp. There are a private school and a parochial library. Oyster beds are found below the surface, which was under water in the 13th century, when small boats could sail from the village of Spynie to fish in the sea. Spynie gave title of baron to the Lindsays, to whom James VI, granted the lands.