ST. ANDREW'S LHANBRYDE
"ST. ANDREW'S LHANBRYDE, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 2 miles to the E. of Elgin. It is situated on the coast of the Moray Firth, extending from the river Spey on the east, to the river Lossie on the west. Its present name includes the names of the two ancient divisions of the parish, of which Lhanbryde signifies "Church of St. Bridget". The living, value £207, is in the presbytery of Elgin, and in the gift of the crown and the Earl of Moray. The district is generally level, with some low hills, and the soil is good. The woollen manufacture is carried on, and there is an iron foundry and a distillery. Relics of British antiquity have been found here. Leslie, the author of the "Survey of Moray," was minister of this place.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of St Andrews Lhanbryde.